What can I try?

Adult Interventions

Advice for parents, teachers, counselors, and other adults.

Let the youth know that you notice their isolation or withdrawal, that you are worried about them, and that you want to help them.

Talk with them about how they are feeling and why they aren’t engaging in their normal activities. Is it one area where they are isolating, or is it across the board?

Notice whether their eating, weight and sleep has also changed. These can be physical indicators of depression.

Keep the youth to a consistent schedule as much as possible.

Give extra encouragement for youth to do normal activities, even when they don’t want to. Praise them when they engage.

Check in with them often and let them know they are not alone.

Watch for statements about not wanting to be here or to live. If you notice these, see “Thinking or talking about suicide.”

Show More

Who can help?

Get counseling or mental health treatment

There are several different ways to seek counseling or treatment. This includes a private therapist, a school counselor, mental health center services, and/or substance abuse treatment.

Private therapists can be a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC), or a psychologist. This is usually covered by insurance and occurs weekly or every other week. Most therapists will individualize treatment and may offer more frequent sessions if needed. Youth may also receive counseling at school. This may be in the form of a school counselor who is accessible to all youth. Find out from the teacher who the school counselor is and how you and/or the youth can set up a time with them. The school counselor can give you more information about services available in the school.

Youth in crisis may need more intensive support than outpatient therapy or school counseling. Mental health centers offer a variety of services: case management, in-home services, and individual and family therapy. Some mental health centers also offer medication management. 

If this process is overwhelming, you need help finding the right fit, or you cannot wait for the first available appointment, contact West House for a referral to the Youth Crisis Diversion Project. A crisis facilitator will meet with you within 24 business hours and guide you through the process of selecting the right service for your needs. 

Tips for Selecting a Provider.

Contact Information

Show More

Call your doctor.

If you have a primary care doctor, they may be a good place to call first for education, referral, and consultation on your child's behavior. They may be able to rule out a medical reason for the behavior, and can discuss medication as an option. 

Show More

Emergency Room

If youth becomes non-responsive to these interventions and you are concerned about their physical well-being, take youth to the Emergency Room.

Youth can be evaluated in the Emergency Room for mental health issues and possible placement in the hospital. They can arrive with parents, or with the support of law enforcement and/or other professionals. The Emergency Room process in Ravalli, described here, is different than Missoula. If you are taking your child to a Missoula hospital, please visit www.missoulayouthcrisis.org to understand the process.

When youth present in the Emergency Room for a mental health issue, the hospital staff will contact West House, who will dispatch an on-call mental health professional (MHP). This is most common when considering a placement in acute inpatient hospitalization or a referral to the Ravalli County Youth Crisis Diversion Project.  If the youth does not require hospitalization but needs a short term stay out of the home, the mental health professional may refer to the Youth Crisis Diversion Project. Staff may also make recommendations for support at home, including a safety plan and information for follow up services.

If a youth needs a hospital placement or more intensive services, the Emergency Room staff explore options. For youth under 12, Shodair Children's Hospital and Billings Clinic are the in-state options. For youth over 12, Saint Patrick Hospital’s Adolescent Inpatient Program and Pathways Treatment Center are also options. If these facilities do not have available beds, there are out of state options. Parents should attempt to transport youth, but can access an ambulance under certain circumstances. Parents must be present through the intake/admission process.

Under some circumstances, parents may decide against the recommendation to hospitalize their child. This is a parent’s right, and other community based options are available. It is important to know that not following this recommendation may result in a report to Child and Family Services from the mental health or medical provider.

Show More